Life Plan community residents tend to experience greater emotional, social, physical, intellectual and vocational wellness than their counterparts in the greater community, according to preliminary first-year results of a study of more than 5,000 residents of 80 such communities in 29 states.
“One of the strongest points coming through is that life plan communities are places where older adults are able to find tremendous opportunity for aging well across multiple dimensions of aging,” Cate O’Brien, Ph.D., assistant vice president and director of the Mather LifeWays Institute on Aging, told McKnight’s Senior Living on Tuesday.
She was speaking of the Age Well Study by Mather LifeWays Institute on Aging and Northwestern University, longitudinal research that is evaluating the effects of living in life plan communities, also known as a continuing care retirement communities, on residents’ health and well-being. The study will measure residents’ self-reported health and wellness through a survey taken annually for five years.
Results are being compared with a demographically similar sample drawn from the Health and Retirement Study conducted by the University of Michigan. Interviews with some residents are helping to interpret the findings and determine additional questions for the future, O’Brien said.
To read this article in its entirety, click here: https://www.mcknightsseniorliving.com/home/news/life-plan-community-residents-report-wellness-benefits-survey-finds/
Westminster Village and the ISU Department of Built Environment are collaborating on an interior Design Challenge. Students of architecture and interior design have been given 2 senior living apartments to re-construct, furnish and decorate as part of their course curriculum.
Students met with Westminster Village residents serving as “clients” last month. This week, Westminster residents traveled to the ISU School of Technology to see the students in action, creating architectural drawings and putting together the decorative palates.
A total of 9 design proposals are being built. Student teams are formally presenting each for consideration on Thursday, September 13th at 9:00 a.m. at Westminster Village. The resident and staff committee will choose which designs will be executed and unveiled for the public to tour during the Design Challenge Showcase in December.
“The project is an opportunity for Westminster Village to connect the generations and connect the campuses. Our senior residents and the young students have really enjoyed working and learning together. We are also pleased to give these students a real life project to add to their portfolio,” shared Kate Webster, Sales & Marketing Director for Westminster Village.
The Course: IAD351 Studio 3: Universal and Corporate Design – This design studio includes both Interior Architecture Design (IAD) and Architectural Engineering Technology (ArET) students. These are 3rd year students. Most are IAD majors and will pursue an Interior Design license and work in residential or commercial design related jobs. The ArET students, in addition to the design courses, also take construction management courses giving them options to pursue employment in the design or construction management fields.
ISU contact: Andrew Phillip Payne, PhD, M.Arch., Associate AIA, Chair and Professor of Built Environment, College of Technology, Indiana State University 812.237.3267 email@example.com
For more information please contact Kate Webster, Sales & Marketing Director, (812) 242-4611
For bright minds and engaging personalities, speaking on topics that affect senior adults everyday, you can count on the Speakers Bureau we’ve assembled at Westminster Village. Our professionals are prepared to discuss topics ranging from nutrition and fitness to skilled nursing and long-term care, as well as general health, wellness and rehab.
Westminster Village, the Life Plan Community serving Terre Haute and the Wabash Valley of western Indiana, has opened a demonstration model SMART apartment. Equipped with the latest technology, the new features are designed to make life easier for its residents.
> Click here for a video on the SMART apartment: http://www.mywabashvalley.com/news/senior-living-made-smarter/985130910
“We’ve found retirees today are interested in keeping up with technology. Many carry smartphones and own tablets. They want to, in their own words, ‘keep up with the times’,” says Executive Director Dan Smith. “So, at Westminster Village, we’re going to help them. That’s why we developed our demonstration model SMART apartment.”
Visitors to the new model will find an apartment equipped with Amazon Alexa, the cloud-based voice service, plus additional remote Amazon Dots. The system controls the apartment’s smart TV, lights and thermostat, plus several small appliances. It is also programmed to connect with the Westminster Village emergency call system designed to alert staff when residents need help.
According to Smith, “Visitors are intrigued when they learn everyday tasks can be completed with a simple voice command. The coffee pot can begin brewing in the kitchen and the curling iron in the bathroom can be turned on or off simply by telling Alexa to do it.”
Smith adds that visitors are also fascinated to learn that because Amazon Alexa pulls information from the internet, they can ask hundreds of questions and get answers. “We demonstrate that they can ask anything from ‘What is the weather?’ to ‘How tall is Mount Everest?’. They can even command Alexa to ‘Tell me a joke.’”
The fully-equipped demonstration model SMART apartment also features a Honeywell smart thermostat with remote control capabilities allowing residents to adjust the temperature when they are away from home.
What’s more, residents with a Pandora or Spotify radio app and the Sonos speaker featured in the model apartment can command Alexa to play music of any genre.
Westminster Village offers residents SMART apartment technology packages starting at $1,200, and their own IT team provides on-site set-up and assistance.
The Westminster Village demonstration model SMART apartment is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and retirees and their families are invited to schedule a visit by calling (812) 242-4611 or visiting WestminsterVillageIN.com.
Westminster Village Life Plan Community offers independent living, assisted living, skilled nursing and rehabilitative services—all under one roof. Serving Terre Haute and the Wabash Valley of western Indiana, it is located at 1120 E. Davis Drive and managed by Life Care Services®, An LCS® Company.
- Evening Nurse Manager – Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or Registered Nurse (RN) Westminster Village Terre Haute, Inc a Life Plan Community is seeking a hospitality minded professional Registered Nurse (RN) or Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) who is looking for a rewarding experience working with older adults to join our extraordinary team. The evening nurse manager, will be assisting new admissions, pharmacy and doctors calls, any disciplinary actions when needed. Successful candidates must have experience working a long term care setting, must possess excellent hospitality skills, be warm, respectful, detail oriented, and passionate about their work. A current RN or LPN license in Indiana is required and at least 6 months previous nursing experience in a long term care setting is preferred. In return for your skills we offer competitive compensation, excellent benefits package, paid holidays, employer paid meals, 401(k) employer match, and one of the highest tuition assistance programs in the area!! Position: RN or LPN Full-Time Evenings 2:00 p.m.- 10:00 p.m. M-F. Shift Differential Incentive for Evening Position, plus management pay rate
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or Registered Nurse (RN) Full-time and PRNWestminster Village Terre Haute, Inc an upscale life plan community is seeking a hospitality minded professional Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or Registered Nurse (RN) who is looking for a rewarding experience working with older adults to join our extraordinary team. We are seeking a happy, enthusiastic, team player, focused on caring for our residents. A current LPN license in Indiana is required.We offer a generous benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance, overtime pay, paid vacation and sick time, employer paid life insurance, 401 (k) employer match, free employee meals and drinks, fitness center, mentoring and cross-training, as well as opportunities for advancement. WV also offers one of the highest employer paid tuition assistance programs in the area – up to $5000 a year!If you are a current LPN or RN, we would love to talk with you and discuss your goals and how we can help you meet your professional goals! #greatplacetowork!
General Employment Opportunities
- Waitstaff/Server – Westminster Village Terre Haute is looking for a customer service orientated Full-Time Server and PRN Server to become part of our team and to join our mission of enhancing the lives of aging adults by meeting the challenges of aging with dignity, care and compassion. The Server position is responsible for providing table service in the Community dining rooms. Previous experience waiting tables in a hotel, restaurant or club with fine dining is preferred but not required.Full-time and PRN
- Dietary Aide – Part-time position to assist the Dining Service department with delivery of meals in the community, while providing excellent customer service and hospitality to those we serve. Responsible for setting up and breaking down meal areas.
- Cook – This position is responsible for the preparation of all food items based on standardized recipes. A minimum of three years experience as a Cook in a hotel, restaurant, club or similar is preferred. In return for your skills we offer competitive compensation, excellent benefits package, paid holidays, employer paid meals, 401(k) employer match, and one of the highest tuition assistance programs in the area!
- Maintenance/IT Technician – Westminster Village is looking for a friendly customer service orientated Full-Time Maintenance/IT Technician. IT experience and associates in IT strongly preferred. You will help in starting up and shutting down the LAN as needed, add and remove user names and passwords. Backup and restore server files to magnetic tape, and maintenance of tapes. Set up and back up new computers and software. As well as help coordinate all IT based systems in the community.
Note that the current openings may be filled at any time; this list of open positions was accurate at time of posting.
Westminster Village is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin or veteran status. Westminster Village fully complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act and will not discriminate against any applicant because of a person’s mental or physical disability. If you have a disability and would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website, or need assistance completing the application process, please contact us at (812) 242-4600.